The CPE challenge
We, at Illuminate Natural Medicine, would like to set a challenge for the naturopath and Western herbalist professions. This challenge is to achieve 75% of your required CPE from independent sources this year. You’ll find some options available on this site (with many more coming over the next few months), but also in the links section, where a number of alternate providers of independent CPE are highlighted. And don’t forget your professional associations, some of these provide excellent industry-independent CPE options.
Feedback and suggested topic areas you would like to see covered would be most welcome. Once you're logged into Illuminate, you can submit comments and discussion points.
Thanks for visiting and we look forward to hearing from you!
Yours in Health,
Jason and Dawn
- ARONAH. 2013. Guidelines on Continuing Professional Development. http://www.aronah.org/aronah-documents/ Accessed: 20/05/2013
- Braun, L. A., Spitzer, O., Tiralongo, E., Wilkinson, J. M., Bailey, M., Poole, S. G. & Dooley, M. 2013. Naturopaths and Western herbalists' attitudes to evidence, regulation, information sources and knowledge about popular complementary medicines. Complement Ther Med, 21, 58-64. PMID 23374206
- Brennan, T. A., Rothman, D. J., Blank, L., Blumenthal, D., Chimonas, S. C., Cohen, J. J., Goldman, J., Kassirer, J. P., Kimball, H., Naughton, J. & Smelser, N. 2006. Health industry practices that create conflicts of interest: a policy proposal for academic medical centers. JAMA, 295, 429-33. PMID 16434633
- Lin, V., Mccabe, P., Bensoussan, A., Myers, S., Cohen, M., Hill, S. & Howse, G. 2009. The practice and regulatory requirements of naturopathy and western herbal medicine in Australia. Risk Manag Healthc Policy, 2, 21-33. PMID 22312205
- Relman, A. S. 2001. Separating continuing medical education from pharmaceutical marketing. JAMA, 285, 2009-2012. PMID 11308441
- Rutledge, P., Crookes, D., Mckinstry, B. & Maxwell, S. R. 2003. Do doctors rely on pharmaceutical industry funding to attend conferences and do they perceive that this creates a bias in their drug selection? Results from a questionnaire survey. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 12, 663-7. PMID 14762982
- Smith, C., Martin, K., Hotham, E., Semple, S., Bloustien, G. & Rao, D. 2005. Naturopaths practice behaviour: provision and access to information on complementary and alternative medicines. BMC Complement Altern Med, 5, 15. PMID 16004617
- Wazana, A. 2000. Physicians and the pharmaceutical industry: is a gift ever just a gift? JAMA, 283, 373-80. PMID 10647801