Dawn obtained a Bachelor of Naturopathy with first class Honours from Southern Cross University, NSW Australia. Her Honours topic was within the field of herb-drug interactions. She regularly presents to her peers at international conferences and local events and has published in the peer-reviewed literature, including The British Journal of Pharmacology.
Dawn believes that the art of Natural Medicine is the ability to stay connected to the roots of our tradition and the living plants that we use, while engaging with and exploring contemporary insights that arise from clinical research and our clinical observations.
- Whitten D. A precious opportunity: supporting women with concerns about their milk supply. Australian Journal of Herbal Medicine 2013;25(3):112-126
- Dwyer A, Whitten DL, Hawrelak JA. Herbal medicines, other than St John’s wort, in the treatment of mild-to-moderate depression: A systematic review. Alternative Medicine Review. 2011;16:40-49.
- Tasmanian Weed Magazine - Plantain (Plantago spp.) monograph
- Whitten D. Addressing concerns about breastmilk supply: simple steps to prevent premature cessation of breastfeeding. Global Natural Medicine available:
- Whitten D and Whitten G. Growing, Manufacturing and Standardization. Section contribution for Botanical Medicine Chapter In: The Healing Power of Nature: The Foundations of Naturopathic Medicine and Ecology of Healing: Primary Care for the Twenty First Century. Elsevier (Textbook in progress)
- Whitten DL, Myers SP, Hawrelak JA, Wohlmuth H. The effect of St John’s wort extracts on CYP3A: a systematic review of prospective clinical trials. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2006;62:512-526.
- Hawrelak JA, Whitten DL, Myers SP. Is Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG effective in preventing the onset of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea: a systematic review. Digestion. 2005; 72:51-56.
- Whitten DL. Cardiovascular drugs: a guide for naturopaths. Australian Journal of Medical Herbalism 2002;14